The Fourteenth Midwest Philosophy of Mathematics Workshop will take place October 5-6, 2013 on the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign. MWPMW 14 will meet in conjunction with the Second Meeting of the Association for the Philosophy of Mathematical Practice (October 3-4, 2013).
A call for papers will be forthcoming in the summer.
PhilMath InterSem 2013 will take place in June over the course of several meetings, all but one of which will be held at Condorcet building on the Rive Gauche campus of the University of Paris 7-Diderot (one meeting will take place at the University of Lorraine in Nancy). The theme of this year’s InterSem is “Indirect Proof”. Schedule outline:
- June 4, Vincenzo De Risi (Research Group Director, Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin)
- June 6, Stephen Read (Arché Research Centre for Logic, Language, Epistemology and Metaphysics, University of St Andrews);
- June 11, Fabio Acerbi (CNRS, UMR 8163);
- June 13, Catarina Dutilh-Novaes (Department of Theoretical Philosophy, University of Groningen);
- June 14, David Rabouin (CNRS, SPHERE, University of Paris 7-Diderot);
- June 18, Paul Rusnock (University of Ottawa) & Jan Sebestik (Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic);
- June 20 Greg Restall (University of Melbourne);
- June 21, Double Meeting in Nancy: Greg Restall (University of Melbourne); John Mumma (Cal State San Bernardino);
- June 25, Göran Sundholm (University of Leiden);
- June 27, Victor Pambuccian (Arizona State University).
Further details can be found here.
An Interdisciplinary Workshop on Human Reasoning will take place at Notre Dame on Friday, April 12, 2013. Speakers include:
- Joshua Schechter, Brown University
- Claes Strannegård, University of Gothenburg
- Lance Rips, Northwestern University
- Rafael Núñez, University of California, San Diego
Contact Prof. Mic Detlefsen for further information.
The first PMA Symosium will take place on Friday, October 26, 2012 on the Notre Dame campus, within the framework of the 13th Midwest Philosophy of Mathematics Workshop (MWPMW 13).
The following have been confirmed as keynote speakers:
- Steve Awodey (Carnegie Mellon University), “Homotopy Type Theory and Univalent Foundations”;
- Jeremy Heis (University of California, Irvine) “Why did geometers stop using diagrams?”;
- Danielle Macbeth (Haverford College) “The Puzzle of Logic in Relation to Mathematics”.
Mrs. Harriet Baldwin (email@example.com) is the workshop manager. Any questions concerning rooms, meals, etc. should be addressed to her. A block of rooms for the MWPMW 13 in conjunction with which the PMA workshop will be meeting has been reserved. Demand for rooms may be high for that weekend, so it is advisable to reserve a room as soon as possible. More information, including logistics such as lodging, travel etc., will be available from the Notre Dame Philosophy website.
Please join us for the maiden flight of the Philosophy of Mathematics Association!